9 things i can’t travel without

SWEATER   leith ribbed shawl cardigan (#NSALE, size down one size, I’m wearing an XXS)   |   TOP   v-neck tee (#NSALE, wearing size XS)   |   JEANS   calson sierra skinny jeans (#NSALE, wearing size 24)   |   EARRINGS   dean davidson hoop earrings (#NSALE)   |   NECKLACE   gold pave circle necklace (#NSALE)   |   LUGGAGE   pink chevron luggage set (#NSALE)   |   BAG   barrington st. anne tote   |   SHOES   pink tassel slides (#NSALE, true to size)

Happy Monday, y’all! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I loved getting some downtime in Dallas, and am feeling ready for the week ahead!

I’m heading off on a family trip at the end of this week (hint hint… we go every year) and in honor of that, I thought it would be fun to share my packing necessities. These are items I used for my recent trip to Italy, and I’m excited to share these little life-savers with you today!

Let me know if you have questions on any of the things I’ve listed below. I hope they help you with your excursions!

And don’t forget… The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale opens to EVERYONE this Thursday! Mark your calendars! Now… let’s get started!

1. Rolling Luggage Set (currently part of the #NSale)

If there’s one aspect concerning luggage sets that I recommend above all others, it’s that the set is able to roll upright! As in, you don’t have to drag it behind you but can push it along with you. This is seriously a game changer. Not only does this make luggage so much easier to lug around, but it also allows you to set your purse/jacket/anything else you may be bringing along right on top. (See the second and third photo in this post to see what I mean.)

For as much traveling as I do, I held off on purchasing a more expensive set of luggage until just last week. There are so many brands out there, and all so expensive, so I kept rebuying rolling bags from Target while I researched and waited to make a decision. When this pink chevron set went live as part of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, I pulled the trigger immediately! It had everything I wanted… the ability to roll upright, the darling pink color, a hard shell and a built-in lock on both the checked and carry-on bag.

I can’t wait to keep y’all updated on how this set wears! It’s currently sold out, but will most likely be restocked in the coming week or two. I’ll notify y’all once it does!

2. Packing Cubes

I’ll be the first to admit that this is one packing accessory I thought was a total gimmick. That is until I went on a pre-Italy Container Store craze and came home with this set. Let me tell you… I will never travel without them again!

Why the change of heart? These cubes simultaneously organize and condense all of your clothing into compact, tidy compartments that make keeping up with (and finding) everything in your suitcase a breeze. I use the large envelope for dresses and blouses (and can fit over 10, folded!), the middle-sized bag for jeans and t-shirts and the smallest for socks and undergarments. Worth every penny!

3. Ostrich Pillow

Ahh, yes. The famous ostrich pillow! I decided to hop on this crazy train in preparation for my flight to Rome, and y’all I loved it. But not for the reasons I expected! Let me explain.

Yes, this pillow is soft, but my favorite thing about it was the light-blocking aspect! Unlike a small eyemask, I found that this pillow blocked out all light, muffled sound and made resting against the wall of the plane or my tray table so much more comfortable. Plus, you can wear it around your neck as you walk through the airport for easy transporting.

Now be warned… you will make friends with the flight attendants if you bring this on a flight. They find it hilarious! I don’t take this on shorter flights, but anytime I want to get some sleep in, this thing comes with me!

4. Bose Headphones

A few years ago, I received a pair of Beats headphones for Christmas. I was so excited about them… until I quickly realized they made my ears sore after about 30 minutes of wear!

Ever since, I’ve been saving and researching for a pair of headphones as a replacement. What were my criteria? Noise canceling. Wireless. Not heinous looking. Most importantly… comfortable.

After a lot of research, I finally landed on this pair of SoundLink II Around-Ear Bluetooth Headphones. Friends, I give them five out of five stars conservatively!

Let me start with the most important thing in my opinion, comfort. These headphones are so comfortable that I actually wore them the entire flight from Dallas to Rome even when I wasn’t listening to music! They canceled out all the noise (apparently there was a crying baby the whole time that my family had to listen to… not me! :) and didn’t hurt my ears at all. I was genuinely shocked at how long I wore them and how comfortable they were!

Next up, the battery lasts incredibly long, and the Bluetooth connection is super easy to set up. And aren’t they so cute? The white/tan color combination is always one I can get on board with.

If you can’t tell, I’m a huge fan of these babies. Totally changed my flying experience!

5. Makeup Organizer

I’ve tried many over the years, but have found that my favorite makeup organizer for traveling is the classic fold-up, hang-up version you can find almost anywhere! I found this one at Bed, Bath & Beyond a couple of years ago, and it has come with me on every trip since. I put my bigger makeup products (palettes, brushes, bronzers, etc) in the bottom pocket and smaller products (concealer, sponges, eyeliner and mascara, etc) in the middle pouch. The top zippered area is reserved for Q-tips and my razor!

6. Liquids Bag (sold out, similar linked)

Let me start off by saying this. I don’t ever pack liquids in my carry on. I just can’t handle the stress of it… making sure everything is the right size, remembering to pull them out before screening, no thank you. Instead, I just pack my normal-sized liquid and aerosol items in this nifty bag. (Sold out from Container Store, but found a similar here.) It’s remarkable how much I can fit in (my full hairspray, shampoo, dry shampoo and conditioner and more!) and it’s easy to rinse if anything spills. (I had a nasty experience with a sunless tanner bottle once… oops!)

To me, this really is the best way to keep anything that can leak or “explode” in-air isolated and organized. There are more expensive versions of this see-through container out there, but this one has served me so well!

7. Hair Tools

“What hair tools do you take abroad?” has probably been my most-asked question this summer! There are all sorts of converters/adapters out there, but if you want to be safe I recommend only bringing dual-voltage tools. American tools require a different amount of voltage than European outlets offer, so simply using a plug adapter to plug your American tool into a European adapter doesn’t mean it’s working. (I learned this the hard way by ruining a straightener a few years back!)

If you don’t have dual-voltage hair tools, I really recommend purchasing a less expensive dual-voltage appliance just to be safe. (Here’s a dual-voltage hairdryer, straightener and the curling wand I’ve used since college that I still love!)

Once you purchase a dual-voltage American device, make sure you have a plug adapter so you can actually fit it into a non-US plug! (And make sure the adapter you buy is for whichever country you’re going to!)

8. Barrington St. Anne Tote

I don’t think I could count how many times I’ve posted about my all-time favorite tote, the St. Anne from Barrington. It is hands-down the best (in my opinion) and the only tote I bring as my “purse” on plane trips. (Or any kind of trip, really.)

It fits my large laptop, my large agenda, a book, wallet, sunglasses, snacks and so much more. Plus, it is so durable and wears in beautifully with time.

Have I mentioned it’s customizable? Warning – you may spend the rest of your day designing your dream bag here.

9. Sweater

No matter what time of year or destination I’m flying to, I always bring along a sweater for the plane ride. First off, you never know how cold it will get and secondly, I find it makes me feel less germ-y. Haha! This one from the Nordstrom sale is so soft, a fabulous neutral color and on sale for $45! Heads up, I’m wearing an XXS. I’d recommend sizing down one!

Now I’m dying to know… what are some packing tips and tricks you can’t live without?!

Love from Texas,

Kate

Shop the look

Shop More Looks

Shop by Instagram

Join in on the fun!

40 Comments

1. Courtney said:

Thank you for sharing this. I love seeing what other people travel with and carry in their bags. It gives a bit of inspiration to those of us who don’t get to travel often. I’m a fairly new follower so I am unsure where you are going but I hope you have loads of fun! And I can’t wait to hear all about it! xx Courtney poshdarlingblog.com

Published 7.16.18 · Reply
  2. Sloane said:

Loved this post! I always travel with a large scarf no matter the time of year to keep me warm and use as a pillow. After seeing that ostrich pillow, I might have to invest in that!!

Published 7.17.18 · Reply
  3. Katie said:

Deff agree with the travel pouches!! I used a bunch for my trip to Hawaii and they came in so handy. I kept all my items in them during my month trip there and it made it so easy to pull out my headphones from a specific pouch and then also grab makeup from another pouch. Thanks for this post girl!

Katie | http://www.sunshinestyleblog.com

Published 7.17.18 · Reply
  4. Kristen said:

I ordered that cardigan for me in gray for fall! Thanks, Kate!

Published 7.19.18 · Reply
  5. mark said:

A nice collection of images as well as stuff you have provided here for us. Very informative and helpful information and tips you have written here for the people who really love to travel. These tips are helpful to manage the traveling gears in manners to avoid the massive suitcases and especially manage goods in traveling safely.

Published 5.1.21 · Reply
  6. mark said:

I am also doing kinda same work here https://travitude-essentials.com/, please spare some time and suggest me improvements. I am very happy to see your growth in Google. Thanks and Regards!

Published 5.1.21 · Reply
    • lisa said:

My name is Slava, I provide the most unique Jerusalem and Bethlehem From Tel Aviv focused on your needs with a luxury car for individuals and families, join me for an unforgettable experience! Whether a family trip, business travel or a Bar Mitzvah celebration, I will provide you a lifetime experience, allow me to plan your journey and take care of all the arrangements in Israel, please contact me about different activities in Israel, jeep tours, museums, attractions for kids, Bar Mitzvah ceremony and private tours.

Published 11.1.21 · Reply
  7. lisa said:

Published 11.7.21 · Reply
  8. lisa said:

It is good to have most of these articles around to maintain the regular flow of information. Help people that no one cruise rentals could do it later, good work! This is so helpful! Help people that no one could do it later, good work.Transportation services in Israel

Published 11.24.21 · Reply
    • lisa said:

Hello, From my personal experience I would say take enough diapers for your baby. If the journey is long then taking a stroller or car seat. It’s very helpful. Besides foods, medicines and fast aid kit is very essential. madrid

Published 12.9.21 · Reply
  9. lisa said:

From my personal experience I would say take enough diapers for your baby. If the journey is long then taking a stroller or car seat. It’s very helpful. Besides foods, medicines and fast aid kit is very essential. Cape Verde Holiday

Published 12.10.21 · Reply
  10. lisa said:

Those suitcases are a steal of a deal!!! I also think they are adorable to boot and it is kind of nice that you were able to restore some of the earlier charm they had by fixing the insdie lining. Antique stores are so fun!malaga travel guide

Published 12.10.21 · Reply
  11. lisa said:

Those suitcases are a steal of a deal!!! I also think they are adorable to boot and it is kind of nice that you were able to restore some of the earlier charm they had by fixing the insdie lining. Antique stores are so fun!travel membership club

Published 12.21.21 · Reply
  12. lisa said:

Is this a solo holiday, an adventure with your friends, or a gradual and comfortable adventure together with your family? Either way, your organization will affect your journey a lot, so it ought to be carefully deliberate so anyone has an excellent time.Luchthavenvervoer Ternat

Published 12.25.21 · Reply
  13. lisa said:

To journey from one place to another for one-of-a-kind purposes is commonly called touring. People do not travel continually for the same purposes. Someone travels to gain information and experience, a person travels for pride, a person travels for business functions and many others. It has a lot educative cost.Travel Tips

Published 1.1.22 · Reply
  14. lisa said:

Travel is expensive for maximum folks; a experience to that magical area is a as soon as-in-a-lifetime adventure. You’ll deliver home extraordinary testimonies if you’re open to them, however in case you need to carry home extremely good snap shots, it takes a little extra than simply bringing a camera with you.tourist places

Published 1.4.22 · Reply
  15. lisa said:

Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though.luchthavenvervoer prijs

Published 1.5.22 · Reply
    • lisa said:

A more traveler knows more. It makes him active, agile, more wise, more active and more diligent. It also removes his deficiency, ignorance, barbarism, dogmatism, darkness, mental torment by satisfying and filling the mind with pleasure and widening his mental horizon.travel barcelona

Published 1.7.22 · Reply
  16. john said:

Very informative and helpful information and tips you have written here for the people who really love to travel. ที่เที่ยวเชียงใหม่

Published 1.8.22 · Reply
  17. lisa said:

Travel is a source of delight and amusement. I also go to many beautiful locations within the international. They deliver a fine exchange in our wondering and we feel sparkling. I am very satisfied to examine plenty about your travel pointers knowledge. Your hints are rich with plenty of useful information .luchthaven vervoer Gent

Published 1.9.22 · Reply
  18. lisa said:

Travelling can be an interesting activity. The trouble is when you have to take your children with you. It can also be a laugh, however there are lots of factors to put together for. Traveling together with your youngsters may be hard when you consider that they have got quite a few needs. For more visit here.

Published 1.10.22 · Reply
  19. lisa said:

People do not travel continually for the same purposes. Someone travels to gain information and experience, a person travels for pride, a person travels for business functions and many others.Luchthavenvervoer Oostende

Published 1.11.22 · Reply
  20. lisa said:

Every traveler have to need this records. Often we go through in illnesses so that is the first-class steering weblog for all. Very excellent post, thanks for greater information. The records which you talk inside the article is clearly helpful.things to do in Fafe

Published 1.17.22 · Reply
  21. lisa said:

There are some precautions while traveling like sure that you are ready for travel. Your health is most important. So take healthy food and fresh fruits. You should always buy travel insurance. If you travel without it you are taking the risk.Surfers of bali

Published 1.21.22 · Reply
  22. lisa said:

Hi, Traveling does not continually have to fee you an arm and a leg … There are ways to shop cash to stretch your travel price range. Booking matters in advance isn’t usually a clever idea … for me, ultimate minute bookings work. For more visit travel trailers for sale in missouri

Published 1.26.22 · Reply
  23. lisa said:

According to travel your post too good. Traveling and Runing too good for everyone. so don’t waste your time. just fare makers providing your cheap airline tickets, Visa and tour packages in reasonable fares.Flacco vakantie aanbiedingen

Published 2.1.22 · Reply
  24. lisa said:

To journey from one area to any other for one-of-a-type functions is usually known as journeying. People do not tour continually for the identical purposes. Someone travels to gain records and enjoy, someone travels for pleasure, a person travels for commercial enterprise capabilities and lots of others. It has lots educative valueTaxi In Chertsey

Published 2.3.22 · Reply
  25. lisa said:

Best American Healthcare University offers CNA certification training classes Online. Train from anywhere in California. Complete the 60 hour theory online and complete the 100 clinical hours in person in a skilled nursing facility. This program is state approved. Remember certification only comes after the student successfully passes the state exam. You only need your phone for the online class and a google chrome browser. A computer is great, but not necessarily needed. 951 637 8332. online cna programs

Published 2.18.22 · Reply
  26. lisa said:

I also go to many beautiful locations within the international. They deliver a fine exchange in our wondering and we feel sparkling. I am very satisfied to examine plenty about your travel pointers knowledge.wine cruises in Europe

Published 3.24.22 · Reply
  27. lisa said:

Great Post. This Post is really helpful for travel. I got too much information about this. thanks for sharing such a helpful post. Keep Posting.Hunza Tour packages from lahore

Published 3.29.22 · Reply
  28. lisa said:

So great to uncover someone with original ideas in this issue. Realy thank you for beginning this up. This internet site is a aspect this is wanted on-line, somebody after a little originality. Valuable activity for bringing a brand new task toward net!male maldives

Published 3.31.22 · Reply
  29. lisa said:

The trouble is when you have to take your children with you. It can also be a laugh, however there are lots of factors to put together for. Traveling together with your youngsters may be hard when you consider that they have got quite a few needs. Private wine tours

Published 4.3.22 · Reply
  30. lisa said:

Traveling is among the most significant moments of joy to people of all ages, especially the young. Regardless of the place you are heading to or any special needs, under 21 car rental Orlando provides a clear guide to lead you to have a successful trip.stonehenge location

Published 4.7.22 · Reply
  31. jagoan69 said:

thankyou for share your beautiful post, i feel very grateful to see all of this!

Published 5.13.22 · Reply
  32. lisa said:

From my personal revel in I might say take enough diapers for your toddler. If the journey is long then taking a stroller or automobile seat. It’s very helpful. Besides meals, medicines and fast aid kit is very essential.Tour to Hunza Valley

Published 5.20.22 · Reply
  33. seema said:

The trouble is when you have to take your children with you. It can also be a laugh, however there are lots of factors to put together for. Traveling together with your youngsters may be hard when you consider that they have got quite a few needs phnom penh hotels

Published 5.22.22 · Reply